Monday, September 17, 2012

Book Care

I have now seen all of the classes. Wow! We have so many great students who are ready to read and excited about books.

For the next three weeks I will be reading very sad books. They are sad because they have not been taken care of by responsible students. We are reading The Woodland Friends by Kathryn Warner and Mr. Wiggle's Book by Paula Craig. The pages show torn pages, writing and coloring in the books, dirty hand prints, and sticky, yucky even food.  We are also reviewing The Library Monkeys by Virginia Allyn that we read last week. The children seem to enjoy saying, "Oh, No!" with me when terrible things happen to the books in the story.

We have talked a great deal about taking care of the books. I have reminded the children that Mrs. Betts is the person who can fix the books if they are hurt. I even tell them their teachers can not fix the books because they are not a librarian. I explain to the children that a librarian has to repair the books so they will be sure to bring their library book to me if it is hurt. Please do not repair books at home. I have special "magic" tape that is used to repair library books. Only this special tape should be used to repair tears in books. Thank you for sending a note or telling your child to bring the book to me to repair instead of repairing it at home.


No comments:

Post a Comment